Your project is going sideways, it’s in critical condition and you can’t figure out why. It’s a feeling – right? First step is to look in the mirror. As a Project Manager, am I doing all the things I should be? Take an inventory of your process groups to isolate areas where you’re uncomfortable. Here are some examples:
- Scope – do we as a team really understand what we’re trying to accomplish. Not only requirements, but the objectives. The bigger picture.
- Team – do I have the right people? Am I missing any skillsets?
- Communication – are we talking…and to the right people?
- Work Plan – have we broken down the work to the right level of detail? Are things falling through the cracks?
- Issues and Risks – have I thoroughly identified both? What are we doing about it?
Take a deep breath – stick to your processes. Even the most troubled project can be resuscitated.